The theme for our April 14th meeting was “Discovery”.
We opened the meeting with a warm-up, where each member spoke for 45 seconds on the topic of “discovery”. As usual, I discovered that our members approach the same topic in such extraordinarily different ways!
- Paul M discussed his rediscovery of the bass guitar and misc.
- Paul G discussed how he discovered a love for history and people, things he wasn’t so fond of when he was in school!
- Therese discussed her discovery of simplicity through decluttering.
- I discussed my rediscovery of work-life balance – the gift that came from being made redundant from a full-time corporate job.
The toast was delivered by Eva who expressed her appreciation for the beautiful autumn days that we are having. She had been reminded of the fragility of life after having witnessed a traumatic accident. So, she reminded us to appreciate the small things.
We had two prepared speeches.
Scott R presented “A Crash Course in Klein Bottles and Mobius Strips”, a topic he is passionate about. He demonstrated how the scarf he was wearing was a mobius strip. He is holding a Klein bottle in his right hand in the photo below.
Filimon spoke about giving “The Greatest Speech in the World”, where he attempted to give a great speech with very little preparation. (If you just sang “The Best Song in the World” by Jack Black, then you’re on target!
We then had a session of 2-minute speeches where people spoke about “What should we NOT be talking about that’s in the news”. Interestingly, several of our members shared that they watch little, if no news.
Therese hosted Table Topics for the first time. She presented a series of slides, primarily images of famous historical events, and members could choose which topic they wanted to speak about.
- Luna Park fire photo – Bacchus spoke about his connection to the artist who designed the face
- Chernobyl before and after photos – Scott R spoke about Chernobyl
- Games image – Eva spoke about Minecraft and Fortnight and how her sons have gone full circle on the games they play
- Best speech – Scott R.
- Table Topics – Bacchus.
- Best evaluator -Paul M.
- Excellence award – Karen
I hope these meeting summaries give you a flavour of what our meetings and culture are like at St Kieran’s Manly Vale. We meet on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month. We’d love to have you as our guest. Simply email our VP Membership, Eva Meagher, for more details. Link is on our home page or email toastmastersmanlyvale at outlook dot com
(Why do we write the email address that way? So that we can avoid phishing/spam bots!).
Karen Robertson. Toastmasters St Kieran’s Manly Vale VP PR.